Monday, July 25, 2011

FEATURED AUTHOR: Kiexiza Rodriquez


Kiexiza Rodriquez is the eldest of ten children whose lack of attention at home drove her to create a world were love was all around her. A pen and a blank piece of paper became her best friends, always there. Her love for all things creative became and she honed her skills in many genres of art.

A survivor of childhood abuse, in many forms as well as domestic violence, Kie has endured things that others may not have recovered from. Somehow finding the strength to pick her head up and move forward.

Professionally, she spent over ten years in the entertainment industry working for different companies assisting with things such as, marketing & promotions, A&R, event planning, street team promotions, and administrative work in the New England area. An impromptu run in with an old friend inspired her to join his team, where she currently heads their promotions & advertising department

Accepting that it’s her destiny to write, and share her personal story with the world, Kiexiza’s goal is to create more than just a fictional story or her pain. Her novels aspire to entertain and provide life lessons mixed into the drama, humor, mystery and romance of her characters journey.

How did you start out your writing career?

My career began as a child I suppose. I began to write down things as I thought them. I wrote about being sad, about what I wished my life was like, about what was actually going on. From there I began to write poetry, then songs, then back to poetry. Eventually with the people I was involved in – in my life at that time, from therapist to other poets, all convinced me I had a story to tell and should share it.

What did you learn while writing this book?

WOW, Beautiful, taught me if nothing else, PATIENCE. I’ve learned by doing things the quick WRONG way that with a little time, effort, patience, and research, things can go a whole lot smoother the first time around, with no need for do-overs, or costly errors.

What did you hope to accomplish with this book?

Originally this novel was meant to be my autobiography. But, I was unable to decide where to begin or get over the fact that some people may not remember things the way I did. So instead when I sat down to write, Beautiful is what was born. I still hope to share a story of victory, of self-growth and awareness from this novel. I pray that people see more than just a great story and grasp the message within the characters.

Which character did you have the most fun writing about?

Tierra, the lead character, the women character are a lil of me and some people I know. There isn’t one that is solely me or solely anyone else, but a mixture, of us all. But Tierra was the most fun, probably because I related to her the most.

What has surprised you most about becoming a published author?

The cost. When I first released this novel I just uploaded to lulu, no cost. And later when I realized all the things I had done incorrect and what it actually cost to do some of those things it was really eye opening.

What aspect of writing do you love the best, and which do you hate the most?

I love the process, the creative freedom I have to plan and put into action a story a beginning middle and an end. There is no greater joy for me than creating this world for my characters to evolve inside of.

I am not a big talker face to face anyway and esp. not to strangers, so the promotions end of it is hard for me. Handing out flyers and possibly having people tell me no thank you they don’t want it, is terrifying.

What are three things you wish you’d known before you reached where you are now?

The cost of money needed to create, publish, promote a book, How to handle those close to you who don’t support and knock your dreams as you continue to reach for higher levels.

The time it takes away from family and other things, to really put your all into your goals, when they are more than just a hobby.

Can you give us one do and one don’t for those aspiring to be a writer?

DO your research, Google, library, amazon books. Etc, research B4 you start!

DON’T just take everyone’s word for what’s good, what’s not, who to use for this or that, or what not to use. Surely listen to advice but in the end YOU have to be happy with your choices. So make them accordingly and be happy with them.

What one thing about writing do you wish other non-writers would understand?

That there are many many similarities to writing and authors books.

Writing a novel is hard, but a joy to most of the writers, and just as a musician put his heart sweat and tears into their work so does an author. Support doesn’t mean buy one book and share it between the whole office. Sometimes reaching out to an author to say you have 5 gals or 10 or so who want to buy can grant you a discount. But you cheat the author by doing the equivalent to bootlegging but for books.

If you could be a character from any book you've read, who would you be?

I don’t think I have one, though I’ve read some great books. There isn’t one I’d say I’d love to be the character in. Most have gone through some rough stages and many don’t come out 100% on top.

When you're not writing, what do you like to do in your spare time?

Cook, I LOVE to cook and bake. I like to draw clothing, though I can’t sew. Spend time with my family. We have recently relocated to VA, so I don’t have the luxury as I did in my home town of cooking and inviting over the family and friends. But I can’t for that day to return

What do you do to interact with your readers?

Twitter is great and FB, is as well. I’m a chatter online and I’m easy to approach. We’ve done contest, and I have a group on FB that people can join and we talk about everything. As long as people introduce themselves for the most part I accept them on FB, and as long as they remain respectful I love to talk to anyone.

Our theme for this month is FREELANCING. What type of freelancing have you done and any advice for someone interested in breaking into freelancing?

I have written articles for publication in a few online magazines and blogs, soulful nights (Jahzara Bradley) Writerz Vibe (kasha Green) SheBiz.net, Christian X-Press, and others as well as with DSE we work with author, musicians, and entrepreneurs basically to help them spread the word about their business.

Oprah always asks, What do you know for sure?

I know for sure that it is my destiny to share my stories with those willing to listen. Whether it be through my novels, or eventually my autobiography or speaking engagements. I’ve been through hell and back and there is someone going through who needs to know they too can come out of the storm and survive.

Can you give us a sneak peek of your next book?

Beautiful is Vol. 1 of a 5 part novel series. In beautiful you meet all of the characters of future books. Some have very small roles and some are larger. But the 2nd book Beautiful Seduction, goes into the world of seduction and desires. It talks about, I guess, mainly all that glitters isn’t Gold and how we can lose what is really important chasing after what appears to be what matters most.

How can readers get in contact with you? (mail, email, website)

kiexizarodriquez@yahoo.com
http://www.kiexizarodriquez.blogspot.com/

http://www.diamondstarentertainment.weebly.com/ (hopefully the weebly will be gone by the time the show is)
www.facebook.com/diamondstarentertainment

Tierra Rodriquez, is a successful business woman, who has worked her way up the ladder, despite being haunted by ghosts from her past. While she tries to juggle life, work, and friendship, her tightly wound cord of secrets begins to unravel. From trying her hand at love, to her estranged mother showing up at her doorstep, and more, Tierra is tested to the brink of insanity and lands in the one place she swore she'd never return seeking solace.

After enduring the tragic death of one he loves, Aquarian Skeene is confused and there is only one person on his mind, Tierra. Desiring to rekindle their lapsed friendship, he makes a phone call that seems to set off a series of events that takes them both down a path of unfamiliarity. As he tries to settle into his new job, and deal with his own secrets he is thrown into a life and death fight that brings everyone in their lives face to face testing their faith.

With everything they know put on the chopping block, will these two get their act together and figure out what path they are destined to be on? Or will they continue to fall apart and become victims of their own secrets and silent fears?

Beautiful Trailer-

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=ddad05a91b4f585ddf6a8d&skin_id=1802&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url


Beautiful Seduction Trailer

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=de5e7ebd599059f859befc&skin_id=1802&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url





If you enjoyed this post, please consider becoming a member of SORMAG's community - Join Today

Do you need help with your promoting? - http://sormag.com/advertise.htm

1 comment:

Unknown said...

thanks for the opportunity!

Welcome To SORMAG's Blog

About Me

My photo
I believe in promoting authors and their books. Let me introduce you and your books to online readers.

I'm also a happily married mother of three who's trying to break into the Christian writing field. The writing road can be rocky.

I’m available for:

Online promotion coaching
Lectures
Seminars
Freelancing
Contact me at:lchwriter@gmail.com

Serving Our Community 365 Days a Year!